Who Can Apply:
- This scholarship seeks to honor the life of James T. Godwin by sharing his encouragement of learning with others while supporting those affiliated with the military.
- Master Sergeant James T. Godwin (ret) was a decorated United States Air Force member, serving his country for over 24 years. Throughout his military service, James received the Distinguished Flying Cross, 8 Air Medals, and an Air Force Commendation Medal. He had a total of 819 combat hours and 111 combat support hours. During the Vietnam War, James was 1 of 6 Godwin brothers that simultaneously served in the armed services.
- After his military retirement, James worked as a federal employee then he went on to start his own business all the while investing in real estate opportunities. James was always working towards the next venture, seeking out new opportunities for learning and growth.
- Most importantly, James was a loving husband for over 61 years to Ruth Ann (Scheller) Godwin, a proud father to 6 children, and the best papa and great-grandpapa you could ask for. He was extremely proud of each member of his family and when he wasn’t bragging about one of their accomplishments or asking about his “grandbabies,” he would share stories from his time in the military.
- James was a guiding light and mentor to his family and friends. He encouraged people to keep learning and always try their best. Everyone should be so lucky to have someone like James T. Godwin in their lives. It is our hope that those of you applying for this scholarship find encouragement to keep learning and motivation to try your best.
- Any high school senior, trade school student or graduate who is the family member of a veteran or active-duty military member, may apply for this scholarship.
Submission: James loved to tell stories! To apply please tell us a story about your military family member. It can be a fond or funny memory that you hold dear or can be a story about something they taught you.
Deadline: June 1, 2024