Who Can Apply:
- Luminaut is proud to offer a scholarship to an outstanding individual studying architecture or interior design. In honor of the founder of their Indianapolis office, Sallie Rowland, they are awarding this to an individual who exemplifies Sallie’s spirit of determination, perseverance, and passion for design.
- After graduating from Indiana University in 1954 with a degree in interior design, Sallie honed her skills as vice president of Business Furniture Corp. before founding Rowland Design in 1968. At a time when interior design firms were few and far between, she was virtually alone as a woman in the top leadership role. Her career has been marked with distinguished honors and awards, as well as several positions on prestigious boards.
- In 2021, Rowland Design was acquired by Luminaut, a Cincinnati-based architecture and design firm with a shared vision to build a culture where talent is nurtured and ideas are born, where spaces are transformed to illuminate and inspire.
- Sallie broke barriers as a woman in the AEC industry in the late 1960s, yet today we see an industry with little diversity, making it difficult for minority students to achieve their professional dreams. This scholarship aims to support students who are pursuing higher education in order to forge careers in the AEC industry.
- Any BIPOC high school senior, undergraduate, or graduate student who is pursuing a degree in architecture or interior design may apply for this scholarship.
Submission: To apply, tell us who you are and how you will embody the Luminaut values—humble yet hungry, focused yet fun, super yet human—as an interior designer or architect. Portfolios accepted but not required.
Deadline: September 1, 2023