Who Can Apply: To be eligible, you must be a legal resident of the U.S. You must be either a college-bound high school senior or a student currently enrolled in an accredited university.
Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) occurring out of hospital claims over 350,000 lives each year, but still, many people are unaware of the dangers of this condition. Here are six other facts about SCA and automated external defibrillators (AEDs) you might not be aware of:
- SCA can happen to anyone, at any time, regardless of age, race, or gender.
- SCA affects roughly 16 people under the age of 18 every day.
- Only 1 out of 10 people who have SCA outside of a hospital survive.
- The survival rate for SCA victims decays by 10% for every minute without proper
defibrillation; after 10 minutes, survival is negligible.
- AEDs have voice prompts and will talk the rescuer through every step.
- Under Good Samaritan Laws, voluntary rescuers are legally protected when aiding those in sudden cardiac arrest distress.
Select one of the previous six facts you were shocked by, previously unaware of, OR wished more people knew about and find a creative way to raise awareness in your community about your chosen fact. Then submit either a video, less than 3 minutes, or short essay, less than 500 words, which describes and/or shows us what you did.
Your video or essay submission must include the following to be considered:
- Which fact you’re choosing, starting with “I didn’t know that…” or “I wish more people knew…”
- Why you chose to raise awareness of that fact
- How you raised awareness in your community about your chosen fact
- Submissions may be written or in video format. Written submissions must be kept under 500 words and videos must be under 3 minutes.
- If sending by email, make sure to use the following document naming format: LastName_FirstName_Fact#
- To submit your essay or video, please submit our Scholarship Application Form. You can also email an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the name of the college you’re attending. If you are unsure of which college you might be attending, please indicate this with TBD.
Deadline: May 31, 2021
Learn More: AED Superstore $1000 College Scholarship