APHA Get Ready Scholarship
Organization: American Public Health Association
Description: The American Public Health Association is offering a $500 non-renewable scholarship in association with its Get Ready Campaign. The campaign is intended to help American families and communities prepare for the outbreak of an infectious disease disaster, including the potential for an influenza pandemic. The Get Ready Scholarship aims to get high school students to focus on the importance of emergency preparedness. Students must submit a scholarship application and an original essay of 500 to 1,000 words, answering one of the following questions:
- Why is it important to prepare for an emergency or natural disaster?
- Describe a situation when you had to prepare for an emergency.
- How can families take steps to prepare for emergencies?
Awards per Year: 1
Award is open to: High school seniors
Major/Field of Study: Biology, Health
How to Apply/Contact: Essays, which may be submitted by mail or e-mail, are due no later than March 25. Contact information available at http://www.getreadyforflu.org/new_pg_scholarship.htm.
DAR Scholarships for Medical School Students
Organization: Daughters of the American Revolution
Description: Daughters of the American Revolution annually offers three scholarships for medical students – which, if you are applying to med school, you know is a big deal. There are precious few scholarships for doctors, so definitely check these out. Each of the scholarships awards $5,000 annually and may be renewed up to four year, for a maximum award of $20,000. To be considered for any of these three scholarships, one needs only submit one application.
– Alice W. Rooke Scholarship is for outstanding students who have been accepted into or are already pursuing a medical degree at an approved and accredited medical school.
– Irene and Daisy MacGregor Memorial Scholarship is for outstanding students with high scholastic standing and character who have been accepted into or are already pursing a degree in psychiatric nursing at the graduate level. The scholarship committee prefers to award this scholarship to a woman.
– Dr. Francis Anthony Beneventi Medical Scholarship is for students with a minimum GPA of 3.25 who have been accepted into or are already pursing a medical degree at an approved, accredited medical school. This scholarship is not automatically renewable, but invites winners to reapply for consideration for up to four years.
Amount: $5,000, renewable for up to four years (each award)
Awards per year: 3
Award is Open to: Medical School Students, Women (see description for specific requirements for each scholarship)
Major/Field of Study: Medicine
How to Apply/Contact: Applications can be found at the DAR website: www.dar.org/natsociety/edout_scholar.cfm